How To Become a Tutor and Earn Extra Money:

If you are wondering how to become a tutor, keep reading and I will do my best to give you the information you need.

Tutoring is one of the fastest growing home-based businesses that you can find. There are many options available to you, including working as a private tutor, tutoring online for an online tutoring agency, tutoring locally for a tutoring center, or tutoring students who are taking classes by distance learning or correspondence.

Setting up a tutoring business, in which you have a group of tutors working for you, is also an option you should consider. Many skilled and experienced people are looking for online tutoring jobs or local tutoring positions. If you are interested in running your own little-or big- business, this may be the choice for you.

First you will need to decide...do you want to tutor online? If you do, the whole world is your marketplace. Do you want to tutor in person only? This is very satisfying and rewarding, and there is great demand for local tutors who can meet in person with their students for tutoring instruction.

Next, you will need to decide...how will you do your marketing for your tutoring business? You can put up signs locally where accepted. You can advertise online, you can ask your friends to spread the word. For the 25 years I have been tutoring, I have used only word of mouth advertising and I have more students than I can possibly take on for tutoring.

How much will you charge? What hours will you work? How much tutoring will you do in a week? Where will you do the tutoring? Are you knowledgeable about tutoring regulations in your country?

Once you have answered all these questions, it is time to proceed with your plan. Get some students, and start sharing your skills. You will be helping someone else and making good money at the same time.

This blog contains much useful information for your tutoring business. Good luck! And please leave comments if you desire.




How to Become a Tutor: Investing Time

How to Become a Tutor: How it All Started
You have probably noticed that several of my posts have been about building relationships. Yes, it is a very important thing to do. There is a really good reason for building relationships when you become a tutor. You see, your students and their parents are your best advertisers. So even if you are so successful at tutoring a child that the child reaches a point where he no longer needs you, the child could have other siblings who will. Also, parents have a way of bragging about how great their child's tutor is!

My career basically started with one family. The mom was talking about her child struggling in high school physics and I said that I did tutoring. She hired me right away, and I ended up tutoring all her children younger than that particular student, over the course of 10-12 years. He was oldest of 8 children. Not only that, but at least 2 dozen references to other families came from that same mom. Don't underestimate the power of 1 good relationship!

Become a Good Tutor: Investing some time

When you have established a client who will be coming on a regular basis, consider becoming involved with the student in an area of their interest which takes place outside of tutoring time. This involvement of time on your part is an investment in the relationship. It is a building up of trust.

For example, one of my students was an avid baseball player, but was struggling in math. He set up 2 weekly tutoring sessions with me on a regular basis. He was coming to see me Tuesdays 8-9 as well as Friday afternoons 1:30-3:00. He was quite an amiable young man, and had a great interest in playing baseball.

I invested in the tutoring relationship by attending a couple of his baseball games. The first game I attended was about 1 month after he had started coming to see me. By that time, I had gotten the chance to get to know him- by listening and by asking the right questions- and he had been telling me how his season was going. When I expressed an interest in coming to see a game, he was very pleasantly surprised and made sure I knew where and when the game was to be.

I not only enjoyed the game, I built a relationship. He could see that I genuinely had an interest in him and his success, not only in math but in things he was interested in. It makes people feel good when someone is interested in them. It also gives him the message that tutoring isn't just for me making money. And its true. Money is a nice side-effect of tutoring but the real rewards come from seeing growth in the student.